Kalliyanei Necklace (SOLD)
Kalliyanei means “beautiful and lovely ” in Khmer, as this eye catching statement Kuchi necklace truly is. It features:
- A stylised vintage Kuchi tribal pendant with bezel set red and green glass, and dramatic ghungru dangles
- Recycled glass beads from Ghana
- Red Jade from the Middle East
- Tibetan silver daisy spacers
- Sterling silver chain, handmade clasp and a SHIKHAZURI charm
- Packaged in a handmade banana leaf jewellery box lined with Maasai shuka and Kenya kanga fabric.
- A Certificate of Authenticity and signed story card
SYMBOLISM & STORY
Kuchi jewellery is renowned for its vibrant energy, colour and sparkling embellishments. This tribal Kuchi pendant features two geometric pillars and elaborate jingling dangles which add drama and flair. The gunghru dangles are believed to ward off evil spirits.
Pieces like this originally came from the nomadic tribes that wandered the border areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan. The jewellery of these wandering peoples incorporates design elements from many cultures including those of India, the Middle East, Central Asia and the tribal areas of the former Soviet Union.
The pendant is anchored by antique Ethiopian silver beads and luscious green glass beads from Ghana, which are offset by red Jade and Tibetan silver spacers. The glass beads are made using centuries old methods by the Krobo tribe; it involves pouring fragments of recycled glass into reusable moulds and firing them in a very hot clay kiln to produce these beads.
Jade is a symbol of serenity and purity and is said to promote love, courage and justice. It acts as an emotional balancer and is thought to release negative thoughts and to soothe the mind. It is also believed to protect the wearer from harm and attracts good luck, friendship and harmony.
Fabulous and flamboyant, the Kalliyanei Necklace will spruce up any monotone day or night outfit, and looks equally gorgeous paired with formal Eastern or Western wear… your imagination is the limit with a piece that is both energising and calming.